Thursday, December 11, 2008

Thrift store to the rescue

I know we have all moved on to Christmas but indulge me with a Thanksgiving post - I never got a chance to get this up!


So I've mentioned that we hosted Thanksgiving this year at my house at last minute notice. Have I mentioned that I'm a perfectionist?? That once I have an idea in my head I can't let it go??? I really wish I could change this about myself - so does Lance :)

Well . . . upon finding out that we were having Thanksgiving here, I decided I had to have all white matching dishes, among a billion other things to make the day perfect. I knew I couldn't justify it to Lance though. Enter Goodwill. I was there gathering up some cheap frames to alter when I got the brilliant idea to check the dishes. I had to dig and dig but ended up walking away with 16 place settings for just over $30!!! Pretty spiffy, huh? They are such nice dishes that I ran through the dishwasher which made them look sparkly and new. I also was able to score some great Pottery Barn Thanksgiving dishes for the kids table . . . I will have to dig up a pic of that.



For the runner I got a piece of burlap from Walmart for $5. I like it so much both the pinecones and runner are staying up through Christmas. I think it goes well with my nativity and garland. It will be super easy to change the place settings to a more Christmasy feel by just changing out the napkins and wheat.

I got so many compliments on Thanksgiving. I usually feel the need to divulge all my good deals but kept my mouth shut for once - pretty impressive for me - although now all my secrets are out.

3 comments:

cherry said...

Very pretty! I love burlap too..I have made a monogram pillow and curtains from it. Used it on my tree too. cherry

bonnieboatwright@gmail.com said...

Adorable! Great photos and the burlap, wheat, pinecones, basket, place settings, etc. look just beautiful with the dark wood of your table!

I'm heading to Goodwill for cheap frames!

Michelle said...

You did a great job! It all looks fabulous!