Thursday, March 13, 2008

Book Review #3

8 . The Devil Wears Prada (Lauren Weisberger) - I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It's one of those books that you pick up and can't put down. It's an easy read full of interesting quirky people. The book is about a girl who gets a job as an assistant at a high profile fashion magazine. This is definitely not her dream job and is using it as a stepping stone to launch her career as a writer - if she can survive her boss. It is rumored that it is based on Vogue magazine as the author used to work there. I saw the movie a couple of years ago which I liked also but the book was better. I could completely identify with Andy (the main character) minus the amazing job and horrible boss. :)
9. Everyone Worth Knowing (Lauren Weisberger) - I enjoyed The Devil Wears Prada so much that I checked this one out from the library also. This book follows the same formula as her first one. Young smart girl gets caught up in a world she knows nothing about. This time the girl gets a job as a party planner for the rich and famous. This is also a fun, quick read. I would call these "beach books." The kind of book that is perfect for laying on the beach all day and not having to think about anything.
1o. The Baby Catcher: Chronicles of a Modern Midwife (Peggy Vincent) - Best book ever!!!! I need a to develop a rating system for the books I read this year. If I had one, this would be off the charts. I think every woman should read this book. Peggy writes of her experiences first as a labor and delivery nurse, then a lamaze coach, and finally a midwife. She delivered babies for over 30 years in Berkeley, California. One of the things I really liked about this book was that she wasn't judgmental about whether or not somebody used a midwife, had a home birth, or used pain meds (she in fact did with her first). She writes primarily about the miracle of life however these sweet little babies make their entrance. Her stories are hilariously entertaining.

11. Mrs. Kimble (Jennifer Haigh) -This is a story about the three different wives of Ken Kimble (at different times - he wasn't a polygamist :) I really don't have much to say about this book. I had such high hopes for it. I guess I didn't love it but I also didn't hate it. It reminded me of watching an episode of one of your favorite shows and it not being too good but you stick with it because you know it will get better eventually. I was disappointed with the flaws in the characters and expected more out of them. This book did get GREAT reviews from other people though so if you are contemplating on reading it don't take my word for it.
12. Change of Heart (Jodi Picoult) - Let me start by saying Jodi Picoult is one of my all time favorite authors. Her books are like candy to me. I think I have read everything she has written. I like them because they are entertaining easy reads that really make you think about tough issues. Hmmmm . . . now that I think about it they are probably the book version of Lifetime movies (but better!). Anyway, I didn't know she had a new book out so I was so excited to see this at the library. I liked this book but I didn't think it was as good as her others. I felt like it dragged at times and her characters were too formulaic. That being said, I read this last week and still find myself thinking about it. Anything that manages to stick in my brain longer than a day must be good! I don't want to give any of the plot away so let me just say it is about a man on death row and the family that put him there.
WHEW!!! I am done with book reviews for the night! Now I can update my reading list on the side. I have been wanting to forever but I don't let myself change the books until I have actually reviewed them on here or I would never get around to it. Hopefully I will have time to do it tomorrow because I am reading some amazing books right now!

0 comments: