Tuesday, July 22, 2008

WFMW - DIY Lip Gloss

This lip gloss recipe is fun, easy, yummy, and inexpensive (especially when making large quantities). For those of you new to my blog, I just returned from a week long girl's camp where I was in charge of crafts for 100+ teenage girls. This was one of the crafts planned for camp. I tested a couple different versions of lip gloss and this one is by far my favorite!

This is easy enough for preschoolers to do and still fun to do as an adult. I will be making lip gloss with my 2 kiddos tomorrow. I have strayed a bit from my summer schedule and crafts were pushed back to Wednesday.

I think these would make great Christmas gifts for girls to give to their friends, cute stocking stuffers, or even would be fun around Valentine's day. They also would be a fun activity to do at a birthday party.

Enough talking and on to the recipe!

Materials:

Paraffin Wax
Petroleum Jelly
Candy Melts
Coconut Oil
Grater
Wax Paper
Ziploc bag
Small container (I got mine here)

Instructions:

Grate paraffin wax onto the wax paper. Measure 1/4 tsp grated wax into the plastic bag. Add 1 tsp petroleum jelly, 1 tsp coconut oil, and 1 candy melt. Seal the bag. Fill a bowl with hot tap water and place the bag in the water for 3-5 minutes to melt the ingredients. Remove the bag and squish the ingredients around in the ziploc bag until well mixed, work quickly! Cut off 1 corner of the ziploc bag and squeeze into container. Place in fridge for 15 minutes.

The lip gloss has a nice coconut flavor. You can also add 1/8 tsp oil-based candy flavoring if you want a different flavor.

If the lip gloss ever changes color or smells - throw it away.

Fun crafts for kids+ is what is working for me this week, for more wonderful ideas visit Works for me Wednesday hosted by Shannon at Rocks in my Dryer.

My previous WFMW posts:

Sweet Spinach Bread
Library Bags
Letterboxing
Curling Ribbon
Safe Plastics
5 Ingredients or Less
Laundry Tip


6 comments:

Genny said...

My daughter would love this! What a cute idea.

Thanks for stopping by, and for your sweet comment. Your blog is great!

Michelle said...

I never even thought of making that on my own. Awesome idea!


Thanks for stopping by my blog! Believe me, it wasn't easy, and I don't know what I'm going to do when this deal finally ends!

Stacie@HobbitDoor said...

What a fun idea! This would make a great gift!

Unknown said...

That would make a great gift at Christmas! You could use peppermint oil and give to the people in your office (hint, hint -may need your help)

Mom

Anonymous said...

Thanks... we go through some chapstick in this house... Susie h~

Michelle M. said...

I'm definitely going to try this out. Thanks for the tip and for dropping by my blog!