
The Silly Bandz craze has hit Virginia! If you have not been introduced to this trend yet, consider yourself a lucky duck. Silly Bandz are rubber bracelets that come in packs of fun shapes. They stretch out when on your arm but then go back to their original shape. They come in packs like this (4 of each shape):
We first saw Silly Bandz when Michelle brought them as gifts for my kids in AZ. She said they were all the craze in North Carolina. I could not believe that both boys and girls wore them, as well as younger and older kids. Spencer didn't show any interest in them until a couple weeks ago he came home wearing some he got from our next door neighbor Kyle (pictured below).
Thus ensued a very very long search for me for Silly Bandz. I could not find them anywhere! Finally, I found out our local Hallmark right across the street had them the whole time while I drove all over VA.
I thought Spencer wanted the Silly Bandz for himself - he had different plans. Knowing the craze that they have created in other places, Spencer decided to bring them to school and sell them. That afternoon he had made enough money to buy back the pack he sold (he only sold about half a pack) and a new pack. He has some sort of ranking system in his mind for which Bandz will be popular and which won't. He sells each band anywhere between .40 cents to a couple dollars! His friend SunLee has started bringing Mountain Dew to school and selling a can for $3.50!!! This is elementary school - I have no idea how these kids have so much money on them. SunLee and Spencer are pooling their profits to buy two Ipod Touches. They figured out they need to sell $10 a day to meet their goal. After a week, they are still on track.
Those are Ella's arms pictured above but Spencer comes home every day looking something like this. One side is for sale and one side are his reserved ones for kids that didn't have money that day. I don't know how long this will last. Our Hallmark is now sold out of Silly Bandz almost every day. I'm sure at some point they will be banned from school. But for now - my little business man is cleaning up!!!
I remember the trends of jelly bracelets, shoes, pogs, garbage pail kids, etc., but I never thought in a mllion years to try and make money from them. Spencer cracks me up with all his ideas - what a smart boy!
Before You Decorate for Fall
1 week ago





1 comments:
ohh that is too funny! I knew those silly bracelets would make it to VA before too long...I'm just sad I didn't think of the original idea to MAKE them. That person is surely making bank now.
Post a Comment