Tuesday, October 28, 2008

WFMW - Coupon Binder

After finally starting The Grocery Game in January, I have become obsessed with coupons and just how cheap I can get something. Yep, I am THAT coupon lady. I knew very early on that I needed a system to stay organized or couponing would never work for me. It had to be easy and FAST on both ends (both clipping at home and using them in the store). I poured over different coupon organization methods for a couple of days and this is what I ended up using, definitely not my original idea but something that works for me . . .

Here is my coupon binder:




Just look how lovely and FAT it is:



TRUE STORY: A couple of weeks ago I noticed my binder was missing. After frantically combing the house I knew it was gone forever. I just knew that if I had left it behind whoever found it would not be able to resist taking it home with them. So many GOOD coupons! For Free! A couple hours later I realized I am a big fat geek and not everybody shares my same obsession. I called Harris Teeter and it was sitting in the Lost and Found. Thank goodness.



Okay, back to organizing.

I get 4 Sunday papers. I have 3 delivered to my home and I buy one early edition on Saturday. Instead of cutting out one coupon at a time, I stack the four inserts together and cut out all four coupons at the same time. Make sense?? Some people staple them together before doing this - I throw caution to the wind. Who has time to staple? While cutting, I sort the coupons into two piles - Food and Non-Food. This makes it a lot easier when I file the coupons.

My binder is divided into the same two sections. I have alphabetical dividers for both sections, so A-Z for all my food items and A-Z for all my non-food items. In between each divider are baseball card inserts.



I then file my coupons by manufacturer name (i.e. Nestle, Pillsbury, Campbell's etc.). I originally was going to file by category (breads, dairy, etc.) but found that my brain couldn't handle it. There were just too many products that I felt could go in multiple sections and I didn't want to take time guessing which section I thought I filed the coupon under. By filing by manufacturer's name, I know right away every time where the coupon is.

Each individual letter is not alphabetized. For example, if you look under "P," the coupons in that section are not in order. Why? It would drive me insane and take up too much time to move around each week. At the grocery store I can quickly scan my "P" section to see what I have and don't have.



This next part is critical: I then file only one type of coupon per slot. So say I cut out a coupon that reads "Pillsbury Crescent Rolls Buy One Get One Free." All 4 of those coupons would go in one slot. Even if I already have the exact same coupon from last month. I don't put them in the same slot because they have different expiration dates. I need to be able to quickly glance and see what I have without digging through coupons. If the coupons don't fit in the slot, I fold them. I try to keep it so the expiration date is visible on the front. At the beginning of each month I go through and pull out expired coupons.



In the back of my binder I try to keep a calculator, writing utensils, and a price pad to jot down the prices of different things at different stores (I'm not so good at this yet). The calculator is missing in this pic due to a curious 4 year old.



Breakdown of Time:

I cut and file coupons every Sunday night while watching TV. This takes anywhere between a half hour and 1-1/2 hours depending on what show is on :)

I print my list from the Grocery Game and try to shop every Tuesday morning. Shopping for the week usually only takes me 30 minutes.

Having a system for coupons is what is working for me this week. For more fun tips head to Shannon's blog where she hosts Works for me Wednesday every week.

My previous WFMW posts:

Sweet Spinach Bread
Library Bags
Letterboxing
Curling Ribbon
Safe Plastics
5 Ingredients or Less
Laundry Tip
DIY Lip Gloss
Tips for Clothes Shopping with girls
How to teach a child to swallow pills
Removing old stickers, adhesive, etc.
Easy Hair Bow InstructionsManaging school papers
Fall Traditions

16 comments:

Liz {Learning To Juggle} said...

I have been trying to figure out the best coupon method for me - I have many envelope style organizers that just don't work. I think I am going to try out your method - thanks for sharing - this is really a great idea!!

Grammy said...

I love it. I had a day runner and never thought of doing this. Great Ideal

Heidi Boos said...

Wow! Now THAT'S a way to organize coupons! Very impressive!! I think I have just a *hint* of coupon organization and compared to this, mine is a little weak. Way to go!

Shell in your Pocket said...

Wow..that is truly amazing!! What a binder...you inspire me!!
-sandy toes

Jennifer said...

Wow....I never thought about filing them alphabetically. That makes alot of sense. I might try that. Thanks for the tips!!

Niki Jolene said...

Wow. I bow down to your amazing skills!

:)

Jane Anne said...

Ok-- WOW- I am so impressed. I keep cutting out coupons and loosing them! This is inspirational. I am not sure I could organize quite like that but I am inspired. Thank you for sharing.

Shannon said...

Thank you for sharing your system. I'm tired of not really knowing what I have, but haven't been able to think up a system to work for me. Looks like I'll be on the hunt for baseball card sheets!!

Michelle said...

That is awesome! One of these days I really need to try it - I just am not up to it yet! I love what you have done!

Monica said...

...A couponers dream...thanks for sharing, I have been trying to re-group from losing my accordian file a few months ago. I am trying the binder method. The only way to be really good with coupons is to be very organized like you are;)

Amanda American Girl said...

love the coupon binder idea. yours is huge. I am surprised you carry that thing around.

Mom2fur said...

I'm constantly tweaking my couponing system and went to the binder one recently. Mine's fat, too--fat and pink like a piggy. I would also have been verrrry upset if I'd left mine behind someplace, so I'm sure glad you found yours.
I don't cut my coupons apart. I keep them intact in 8.5 x 11 page protectors, with the dates on the fronts. I use Grocery Game, too, which makes finding what I need easy. But I also write out lists of coupons I'll use for stores I don't do on GG (CVS, for example.) I only list what interests me, so it really doesn't take that long.
I think maybe I'll blog about my binder soon. If I knew how to do Mr. Linky, I'd start something called "Show Me Your Binders," LOL! I love to see how others do the coupon thing!

carrie said...

Color me impressed! That is one serious coupon organizing system you have there!

The Hunter's Wife said...

I think this is how I need to re-do my binder. A-Z. Thanks for the tips and pictures.

Amydeanne said...

thats wild! WTG

Neisey said...

I love, love, love that coupon binder. My favorite thing is organization! I also have a coupon binder, except mine is a bi-folder. I don't like that I can't see each individual coupon, therefore it is not very efficient. I'm going to have to copy you. :) Thanks for showing us.