Friday, May 7, 2010

Salmon Roasted in Butter



I've had a couple people e-mail and ask for my salmon recipe lately so I thought I would post it here. This is my favorite, favorite way to cook salmon. It cooks so fast that I usually put it in when I start my veggie for the night and they are done at the same time. This recipe is from the Joy of Cooking. I used to measure exactly now I just guess every time. You need:

2 tbs butter (real butter)
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1-1/2 lbs. salmon fillets (rinsed and patted dry, skin on)

Steps (this looks like a lot but it is so, so easy!!):

1. Preheat oven to 500
2. Heat in a small saucepan butter, olive oil, and salt over medium heat until the butter is melted. Stir.
3. Pour half of butter mixture over bottom of roasting pan.
4. Place salmon skin side up in roasting pan.
5. Drizzle the remaining butter mixture over the fish.
6. Roast for 5 minutes and then carefully turn the fish over.
7. Roast 5 more minutes or until the salmon is done (see note below).
8. Transfer salmon to serving platter and pour the pan juices over it.
9. Garnish with parsley.

Note 1: I remove the skin the second the salmon comes out of the oven. I just use tongs and pull up on one corner gently and usually the skin will come off in one piece. I then turn the salmon over before serving so it looks pretty :)

Note 2: Signs of salmon being done: Firming up of texture, beginning of flakiness, opaque whiter look throughout. I basically just stick a fork in after 10 minutes and if it is flaky I take it out. I have never had to cook the salmon more than 10 minutes.

My kids beg and beg for salmon. I can get them to eat any veggie or side with the promise of more salmon. We try and have fish twice a week since the Omegas in it our soooooo good for our bodies.

I usually make either spinach fettucine and broccoli with the salmon or fried rice. I like to mix the salmon with everything but my kids will ONLY eat it by itself.

If anyone is interested I can post my other fish recipes and sides - tilapia, shrimp, etc.

Let me know if you try this recipe - you'll be surprised at the ease and how tasty it is!! I want some right now :)

1 comments:

Michelle said...

I will have to try this - Ed would be so happy! Thanks for sharing! I would love more fish recipes (well, Ed would).