Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Best Laid Plans

Two years. For two years Spencer has been talking about this election. He has been reading about the candidates. Learning about the process. Deciding on the issues. Coming to his own conclusions about who he wants to be president. Learning about the voting process. Asking to come to the booth with me. Anticipating the day.

Spencer woke up yesterday morning with a fever. Not even a mild fever. The kind of fever that knocks you on your back and makes you wish you were never born. In fact, I think that was one of the things he moaned yesterday in the throes of his illness. He kept asking "why me?" and I kept thinking "why today?"

Once we got the fever under control (after a round of ibuprofen and Tylenol), we modified our election plans. I headed to the library and picked up a few more books for Spencer (Wackiest Pets of the White House, Don't Know Much About the Presidents). Between his naps, we read the books I had planned (see yesterday's post). The kids definite favorite was So You Want to be President - it had both of them laughing out loud.

Oprah had an election day special yesterday so the kids and I watched it together. She focused on first time voters and the importance of the vote. It was neat for Spencer to hear the stories from immigrants who never had the chance to participate in democracy before.



We started watching the election coverage right at 7PM. I printed up blank maps for the kids to color in red and blue as different states were decided. They both were really excited whenever a state was called. Ella colored an extra map all red for Spencer since she knew how much he wanted "McCains" to win. Her candidate was Obama. Since Spencer had been too sick during the day to get on the computer and play the different trivia games, I printed up a bunch of trivia for us to quiz each other during the coverage - but mostly we just watched.


I will never forget the moment the election was called. I was not prepared for the surge of emotions that run through me. He wasn't even the guy we were hoping for (in truth, I wasn't too pleased with either choice). Yet I couldn't stop crying. What an amazing day for America. I still cannot wrap my mind around the historical significance of yesterday. I am still processing my feelings. Last night the cynical apathetic side of me was blown away.


I am so glad that Spencer was able to stay awake for the entire thing. He was disapointed that McCain lost but ready to support our new president. How great was McCain's speech? What a wonderful thing for Spencer to hear and see someone who was gracious in his moment of defeat. Setting aside all politics, Obama's speech was inspiring. He has a huge job ahead of him and I am looking forward to seeing what he can accomplish.

Although Spencer was unable to go to the booths and we had to rearrange some plans (election dinner), he was able to stay up and see such an incredible night. I hope it is a day he will remember.


0 comments: