I have been so excited for WFMW this week. The theme is TOYS WORTH BUYING. I can't wait to read everyone's recommendations.
We are a family who loves board games. We have several cabinets full of them and are always on the hunt for more. One of the reasons I love consignment sales is to sell the games we haven't liked and try new games out cheap. Anyway, here are my top recommendations for board games. Because I'm lazy, I put the manufacturer's description with each game with my review following.
FOR YOUNGER KIDS:
Zingo Product Description from Manufacturer: Bingo with a Zing!
A fast-paced, simple variant of Bingo. Players try to fill their image cards with matching tiles from the"Zingo Master"; first player to fill his/her card wins! Rules can be adjusted to favor more or less competition among players, and to vary length of time that each game takes to play. Zingo teaches shape and pattern recognition, as well as observation, and short-term memory.
This game has been very popular at our house. Spencer loved it when he was in preschool and now it is Ella's favorite. I brought it to preschool once for all the kids to play (up to 8 players can play at once) and afterwards every mom bought one for their kids. It is easy enough that the kids can play together without adult supervision and it is one that my kids will sit and play forever. It is a great first game because reading is not required - they can just match the pictures but it is still fun for older kids as well.
4 Way Countdown - Product Description from the Manufacturer:
Take the ultimate math challenge. Kids can practice their skills in addition, subtraction, multiplication and division skills by simply using the numbers on the dice. The first to flip over all 10 numbered keys wins the game. Game board includes sliding cover for easy storage. 2-4 players.
We bought this game in the clearance section one year after Christmas for $2. We were so surprised by how much fun it is. Each player has 10 numbered keys that they are trying to flip over. On your turn, you roll the dice and choose a function to make a number 1-10. For example, if you roll a 2 and 1, you could add to make 3, subtract to make 1, multiply to make 2, etc. So the kids are constantly thinking of different math solutions to get the numbers they need. To make it a little harder, if certain number's are rolled you have the option of turning all your opponent's keys back over so they are at the beginning of the game again. I have probably made this game sound a lot more complex than it actually is. We gave this as a class gift to Spencer's 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade classes.
Cranium Conga- Product description from manufacturer: Cranium Conga is the fast-paced "guess what I'm thinking" game that will get your whole family acting, sculpting, guesstimating, and picking hilarious words. Conga celebrates the fun facts and funny memories that only someone close to you would know. This delightful game offers giggles and laughs for everyone -- from 8-year-olds, to teenagers, to mom and dad -- so turn off the TV and share some high-flying fun.
This game focuses on how well you know the people around you. In typical Cranium fashion there is acting, sculpting, etc. We have played this often on family nights. The suggested age is 8+, I would disagree and say 5+ (as soon as they are reading and writing). Ella plays now with us with help from her parents :)
FOR OLDER KIDS (AND ADULTS!):
Ticket to Ride Product description from the manufacturer: October 2, 1900. 28 years to the day that noted London eccentric, Phileas Fogg accepted and then won a L20,000 bet that he could travel "Around the World in 80 Days". Now at the dawn of the century it was time for a new "impossible journey". Some old friends have gathered to celebrate Fogg's impetuous and lucrative gamble--and to propose a new wager of their own. The stakes: $1 Million in a winner-takes-all competition. The objective: to see which of them can travel by rail to the most cities in North America--in just 7 days. The journey begins immediately. Ticket to Ride is a cross-country train adventure where players collect cards of various types of train cars that enable them to claim railway routes connecting cities throughout North America. Included in this popular game made by Days of Wonder is a detailed board, game cards, help cards, rules, train miniatures, and more!
Ticket to Ride is one of my all time favorite games. We play this over and over and over and I am still not sick of it. The game involves a lot of strategy but it is easy enough for a kid 8+ to play as well. If you need a GREAT board game - this is it! One more nice thing, it doesn't take all night to play like Monopoly or Risk, typical game is about 45 minutes.
Carcassonne Product description from manufacturer: The southern French city of Carcassonne is famous for its unique Roman and Medieval fortification. In this clever tile-laying game, players develop the area around Carcassonne and deploy their followers on the roads, in the cities, in the cloisters and in the fields. The skill of the players to develop the area will determine the victor. For 2-5 players.
This is another strategy game. If you liked Settlers of Catan, chances are that you will LOVE this. You take turns laying tiles trying to build roles, cathedrals, monasteries, etc. The game has an element of both skill and luck. It is definitely not your standard board game and a lot of fun!
I would LOVE to hear your favorite games - we are always looking for more!
For more fun toy ideas head to Shannon's blog where she hosts Works for me Wednesday every week.
My previous WFMW posts:
Sweet Spinach Bread
Library Bags
Letterboxing
Curling Ribbon
Safe Plastics
5 Ingredients or Less
Laundry Tip
DIY Lip Gloss
Tips for Clothes Shopping with girls
How to teach a child to swallow pills
Removing old stickers, adhesive, etc.
Easy Hair Bow Instructions
Managing school papers
Fall Traditions
Coupon Binder
Before You Decorate for Fall
1 week ago





3 comments:
I have never heard of or seen Ticket to Ride, but we have train lovers in our house, and since everyone is over eight now, and I can't stand Monopoly because of how long it drags on, this sounds like a nice option. Thanks.
I was so excited to see a board game post on WFMW! We are huge gamers here. The adults and kids love games. Some of our favorites for the kids (5 and 3 a lot of them only for the 5 year old) are Gulo Gulo, Othello, The aMazeing Labyrinth, Chicken Cha Cha Cha, Blokus, Halli Galli, Quoridor, Guess Who. Some of our favorites for the adults Ticket to Ride, Settlers of Catan, Puerto Rico, Shadows over Camelot, Power Grid, RoboRally (my favorite) Ok I could go on and on. Not sure how old your kids are but I have played Carcassone with a group of 4 and 5 year olds and they loved it. We just left out the farmers to simplify it. Now my 5 year old plays with the farmers too. I suggest checking out www.boardgamegeek.com They have user reviews and info on pretty much every game out there. They also have great "geek lists" Where people have compiled their favorite games for say 5 year olds, or games that can be played in an hour ect. If any of the games I mentioned sound interesting I'd be happy to give you a more detailed synopsis.
Thanks for posting about board games. I am looking for Christmas ideas for my grandchildren and we all love board games. There are several on your list I'm going to purchase.
Post a Comment