Friday, November 7, 2008

On my radar

1. Have you seen these Thanks and Giving Trees? Not only is it a fabulous idea from Chocolate on my Cranium, but she also provides the PDF files so you can easily have them too! I printed some up and we are working on filling in our trees. I love how it promotes the service side of gratitude. I think this will be a new tradition in our house every November. She also has a FHE lesson to go along with this and the lessons on her site through the month of November will focus on thanks or giving.

2. Speaking of giving, are you looking for opportunities to help teach your kids about service? I was so excited to find this. This site lists volunteer opportunities by zip code. Couldn't get any easier.

3. I've been eyeing this USA art for Spencer's room from Pottery Barn but don't like the price tag. I then realized how easy it would be to make myself. I have the canvas and supplies and will be working on it this week. I'll post pics when I'm done.

4. BeanPlate is a brand new blog that focuses on "eating well on a tight budget." Sounds like my kind of place. I love the description on the site - "Using accessible whole ingredients and the thrifty tried and true methods our grandmothers, we're cooking through the recession one plate at a time." I'm excited to see more recipes.

5. This article in the Arizona Republic about Stephanie Nielson (Nie Nie Dialogues) and her sisters is beautiful. Read it if you get a chance but be sure to keep kleenex handy.

3 comments:

Sandy said...

Hi Amy - I love your reading your blog. You've always got such great stuff on it and of course, I love seeing your kids. It amazes me that one family can have such amazing girls with such amazing talents. Sorry Lance, Scott, Ed and Corey - you guys are great too. I start my day off reading all of your blogs. What a story about Stephanie Nielsen and you were right about the kleenex. Talk about enduring to the end.

Gina said...

Love the Thanks and Giving Trees!!! I just printed some up - what a great tradition.
Yeah Sandy, the ladies in this family ROCK!!! Sandy, you aren't so bad yourself.
Thank you for my cry of the day. Just when I thought my life was hard, whatever my life is easy!

Amy said...

Sandy - thank you so much! You totally made my day.

The Nielsen family is so inspiring. The Nie Nie Dialogues has become one of my favorite blogs. She makes every day life look like so much fun. Her testimony and faith is evident in almost every post and she inspires me to do and be better.