Friday, November 21, 2008

Bringing up Geeks


Bringing up Geeks: How to Protect Your Kid's Childhood in a Grow-Up-To-Fast World.

I picked up this book from the library last week and LOVE it. Here's a quick synopsis from the publisher (then I'll tell you what I like about it):

Marybeth Hicks suggests an alternative to the culture of cool: bringing up geeks. In this groundbreaking book, she redefines geeks as Genuine, Enthusiastic, Empowered Kids, and inspires parents to free themselves and their kids from cultural conditioning while instilling in their children truly important values.

I think my favorite part of this book is that the author has raised four children and has had kids at all different stages of parenting. I like that she has been in the trenches, so to speak. It gives her a lot more credibility in my opinion. She has ten rules for raising geeks:

1. Raise a braniac.
2. Raise a sheltered kid.
3. Raise an uncommon kid.
4. Raise a kid adults like.
5. Raise a late bloomer.
6. Raise a team player.
7. Raise a true friend.
8. Raise a homebody.
9. Raise a principled kid.
10. Raise a faithful kid.

In each of these sections she gives clear ways to implement these values into family life. She gives examples of how to do this at all different age levels and what challenges parents can expect. It is a fun easy read filled with examples from her own family. I love reading books that inspire me to do better and this one certainly did.

1 comments:

Katie @ makingthishome.com said...

Ooh this book will be calling my name one day. I really like it! My husband and I are total geeks... and as my sister-in-law has informed us, our kids are going to be "major geeks". Thanks for the smiles this morning.
Katie