
Just a Girl is hosting an "I Can Make That Party" just in time for the Holidays. Everyone is sharing ideas of fun projects to make this year for Christmas. Totally my kind of thing.
I somehow missed that this was happening and just stumbled upon it tonight. So I only have one thing to share that luckily I had pictures of. This is what I did for teachers gifts last year. I completely copied it from my SIL Michelle who always has such awesome ideas. I bought a 2 x 4 ($1.85) and had Home Depot cut it down for me. Out of that one piece of wood I covered the kids teachers, some other Christmas projects, and had some left over. I used paint I had on hand and ordered the vinyl from my SIL (The Letter Cafe). I believe the vinyl was just a couple dollars. I wrapped it up in cellophane with candy and ribbon. I liked that it was something different and not too pricey!
(I also had ribbon tied around the wood - this picture was taken before that step. But I think it looks fine like this also.)
Variations:
- Instead of using the teacher's name you could put "favorite" across so it would read "favorite teacher," or any other saying pertinent to the teacher "music teacher," etc.
- I also made some with only the word "Believe" across, distressed the wood, and gave it with a copy of this book.
- These are great to have on hand to give as last minute gifts. I made a couple extra last year with "Ho Ho Ho" across them. It was nice to have a gift ready to go when needed. I ended up giving them all away.
You can see more fun Christmas projects here here.
Before You Decorate for Fall
5 days ago





30 comments:
Ok. Make this #1 on my list of things to make! I LOVE this!! I had some problems with my linky thingy (don't I sound like I know what I'm doing?), but it's up and running. Get yourself on there, so other people can see! Thank you for stumbling on the invite! :)
Well, I think I've now made it clear just how dumb I am. You already linked there. Gees. This is stressful! Regardless, your project looks soooo great!
Great idea
So cute!
I love this!! What a great idea!!
HI I just found your blog through just a girl! I love it! Your idea is so cute. I am doing a similar one for my family members. Have a great day!
I have already started preparations for making these. My husband is a builder, so I told him I need lots of scrap wood peices. I am so excited about making these.
Oh come on now, that is just tooo clever! Totally stealing this one. Heh!
This is a great idea and one project I think I could take on! Thanks for the great idea.
What a simple, yet creative, gift idea. Love it and will definitely be stealing it. Thanks.
As a teacher, I love this! I know what my son's teachers are getting this year:)
Those are super cute! I love how it turned out and the possibilities are endless!
Great idea. I love that!
I love these signs! Cute cute cute!
I LOVE this! LOVE it! I am going to have to order the vinyl so I can make this!
as a teacher let me say, wow! i would love to get this as a gift!!! great job.
~nicole
That is super cute!
Great idea. Now you say you got this cheap at Home Depot but did it come with that edge finish already? What length is it cut into? Thanks.
Your sign is just beautiful! Love it.
Great questions! I cut the boards down to 8" each. The edges are not routed. I just lightly sanded the edges before painting. After the paint dried I barely sanded over some of the edges to give it a more worn look (but I don't think you can really see that in this picture).
This is a great idea for a teacher gift! I know when I was teaching, I would have loved neat things to put in my classroom. High impact, for not a lot of money!
That's a great tip about the vinyl letters! Thanks!
Very nice! Thanks for sharing!
Michelle
http://www.everydaycelebrating.com
This is so cute.
I am confused about the vinyl letters. Can you explain this to me.
Thanks
Hi Suze,
I'll try and explain :) Vinyl lettering are letters that you can rub on to whatever surface you want them to stick to. The vinyl is thin enough that the letters appear to be painted onto the surface. You can order letters to say whatever phrase you want. It is really common to see vinyl lettering on the walls in homes, on wooden plaques, on picture frames, on bins for organization, etc.
In this project I ordered two different phrases in different fonts and colors. I put "TEACHER" on the wood first and then the name "Mrs. Kahn" on top. Vinyl is super easy to use and has such a great look to it.
Hope that explanation helped a little!
Wow, I love this! It sounds so easy, too. Thanks for sharing!
This is SO CUTE! I am totally going to do this for my daughter's teacher! And thanks for mentioning the other blog to find cool gifts. I'm going over there next! LOL
Corinna
www.myscrapbooklife.com
OMG that is such a great idea. I used to teach, and I know that any teacher would welcome a gift like that and it is something they can keep.
Nice! It is a great gift!
That's really cute. Thanks for sharing. :) I like that you could do this with different holidays too.
Post a Comment